The below question and answer is informational only. It is not legal advice and is not intended to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal counsel. As with all general information, the answers provided may not specifically apply to you. You can also check our directory page here.

Trick or Treating is always on Halloween day (October 31) from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

City of Neenah curfew restrictions apply to juveniles ages 16 and under. Sunday through Thursday curfew is 10:00 PM; Friday and Saturday curfew is midnight. Curfew restrictions vary from community to community.

To report crimes or suspicious activities that should be addressed promptly, call us at 886-6000. If you want to report confidential information about a crime, you can call us at 886-6000 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers of Winnebago County at 800-621-2274. Of course, if you have an emergency dial 9-1-1.

Yes (see ordinance #11-141 thru 11-148). The simplest summary is to say that noise is illegal if it brings unreasonable discomfort to people in the area because it is harsh, prolonged, unnatural, or unusual in time or place. Even yelling, shouting, or loud singing could be a violation. The key is reasonableness. 

The City of Neenah has a single-stream recycling system. Single-stream refers to a system that takes the two recycling “streams” — mixed paper and commingled containers (aluminum, tin, plastic, glass) — and puts them together in your recycling cart. Single-stream does NOT mean regular trash is mixed with your recyclables, only that your paper, cardboard and commingled aluminum, tin, plastic and glass may be mixed together.

Your recyclables will be collected every other week, the same day as your regular garbage pick-up. All recyclables, (i.e., glass, tin, aluminum, paper, cardboard) can be commingled in one container.

Recycling is simple, convenient and saves resources!

Click Here for more information on refuse and recycling.

  • Select appropriate lane in advance of the entering the roundabout
  • Slow down
  • Yield to all lanes of traffic in the roundabout
  • Once you enter, stay in your lane until you leave the roundabout

Click here for more information.

If you are consistently noticing speeding down your street, you can contact your alderman, or the Police Department.

If you have a concern or complaint about a neighbor’s property, please call the Community Development Department at 920-886-6130.

From November 1st through March 31st, no vehicles can be parked on the street between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. During other months of the year, overnight parking alternates from even to odd sides daily (on odd numbered days vehicles must park on the side of the street with odd house numbers). Odd/even is determined by the date before midnight. These restrictions allow for snow plowing, street cleaning, and reduce congestion. No vehicle may be left parked on a city street for more than 24 continuous hours.

Click here for more information on overnight parking.
Click here for more information on general parking rules.

You can pay for a traffic or ordinance violation ticket at the Municipal Court offices at the Neenah City Hall, 211 Walnut St. In addition, the Finance Dept. in City Hall will accept payment of fines on initial appearance dates. Parking tickets can be paid at the Finance Department in City Hall.  As of January 1, 2019, the Neenah Police Department is no longer accepting parking citation payments.

Garbage, recycling, yard waste, brush, metal, or large items must not be put on the curb before 4:00 p.m. on the day preceding your scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Containers must be returned to the point of storage within 12 hours after collection.

Click Here for collection routes, holiday schedule, and more information on refuse and recycling.

Municipal code states that the owner/occupant of a lot abutting the sidewalk within the City is responsible for clearing the sidewalk, mid-block crosswalks, corner crosswalks and ramps of snow and ice within 24 hours of the cessation of any snowstorm. In addition, blowing or plowing snow onto City streets is prohibited.

The Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue is available to answer all questions relating to burning within the City of Neenah. They can be reached at 920-886-6200.

Copies of birth certificates can be obtained from the county in which you were born. If you were born at Theda Clark Hospital or elsewhere in Winnebago County you can call the County at 920-727-2880. If you were born in Outagamie County you can reach them at 920-832-5077.

Yes, all residents are required to recycle. To find out how items should be sorted and the schedule for picking up recyclable items view the recycling guide or contact our Public Works Department at 920-886-6240.

The City Attorney’s office does not provide legal advice on private matters. For referrals for legal assistance concerning private or personal matters, referrals may be obtained from the State Bar Association. They can be contacted toll-free at 800-362-9082 or you can visit their website at www.wisbar.org.

People who meet certain eligibility criteria relating to income may qualify for legal assistance from Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. If you are a Winnebago County resident you may contact them at 920-233-6521 or toll-free at 800-236-1128. You can also visit their website at www.legalaction.org.

There are also Legal Assistance Clinics at the Neenah Public Library on the second Tuesday of each month from 4:00 – 6:00 pm. The Legal Assistance Clinic can help you with legal problems, whether you are proceeding pro se (without an attorney), or if you need the help of an attorney free of charge. Volunteers will be available to help you represent yourself, or, in some cases for possible referral to an attorney who may represent you without a fee. Volunteer attorneys will be available to evaluate your problem, and in most cases give you advice about how you could proceed. Please note: The Clinic cannot assist you if you already have an attorney representing you for a particular legal problem.

First, you must plead “not guilty” to the charge listed in the ticket in municipal court by either appearing at your initial appearance to enter a plea, or by submitting a not guilty plea in writing to the municipal court at their office at 211 Walnut St., Neenah; by email to the Court Clerk, Patty Kunde, at pkunde@ci.neenah.wi.us; or by fax to 920-886-6286. The written plea must be received by the Court prior to your initial appearance date. The pretrial conference will happen the same day as your initial appearance for those who attend.  Those who chose to enter their not guilty plea in advance will be contacted by the City Attorney to schedule a pretrial conference.  At the pretrial conference, you (and/or your attorney if you have one) may discuss your case with the City Attorney and possibly resolve the matter short of trial. Please be aware, however, that the City Attorney represents the interests of the City of Neenah in prosecuting violations of the City’s ordinances. He cannot provide legal advice to any defendant, nor represent defendants before the municipal court. The pretrial is a voluntary procedure. Non-participation in the pretrial process will not adversely affect the outcome at trial as the municipal judge will make a decision based on the evidence that is presented at trial, not whether the defendant has participated in the pretrial process.

If you live in Winnebago County you can obtain your marriage license from the Winnebago County Courthouse. They can be reached at 920-727-2880. For Outagamie County residents you can call the Outagamie County Court House at 920-832-5077.

Yes, all cats and dogs are required to have a license. The City of Neenah Finance Department is responsible for issuing all licenses. They are available Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or you can call them at 920-886-6145.

Yes, you can trim the tree branches that hang over on to your property up to the property line. It is a good idea to speak to your neighbor first before trimming the tree branches. You may also want to consult with the City of Neenah Dept. of Community Development Building Inspection website for information regarding lot line disputes and other property related issues.

Unfortunately, the City of Neenah cannot legally survey or otherwise establish the location of property markers for property owners. The property owner is responsible for preserving and/or documenting the location of their property stakes. Maps and aerial photos are available at City Hall that may be useful to residents who wish to attempt to locate their own stakes. Ultimately it may be necessary to hire a licensed Surveyor to legally re-establish the location of property lines.

For questions or information relating to tenant/landlord issues the State of Wisconsin, Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection is available to answer your questions, They can be reached toll-free at 800-422-7128 or you can visit their website at www.datcp.state.wi.us.

The Tullar Road Drop Off Site located at 1495 Tullar Road, is open Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (except holidays).

It will be open on Saturday mornings from 8:30 a.m. to noon from May 2 through November 14, 2020.  The drop off is for City of Neenah residents only.

Click Here for a map.

If you notice a problem with a street light, contact We Energies at 1-800-242-9137 or report on-line at www.we-energies.com/night_aura/contact/rptoutage.htm or call the Neenah Public Works Department at 920-886-6240. In general, street lights mounted on wooden poles are owned and maintained by We Energies.

Residents must contact the City for pickup of all large items and metal. Schedule a pickup by calling 920-886-6251 and leaving a message that must include your name, address, phone number. Or visit the Public Works and Utilities Department page for Large Item and Metal Pickup Scheduling to enter the information.

Pick up is on the even months of the year – February, April, June, August, October, and December by area (see Recycling and Refuse Guide for areas). Residents must schedule their pickup by 8 p.m. on Tuesday of their pickup week. Items should not be placed on the terrace more than 48 hours before the scheduled pickup day.