Municipal Court
skip mobile navigation
skip top site navigation

Municipal Court

Honorable James B. Gunz: Court Judge

211 Walnut St. Neenah, P.O. Box 426, WI 54956
Phone: 920-886-6285 Fax: 920-886-6286 Email:

Facebook Twitter
Subscribe to this Department Facebook Twitter


Information for Court Appearances due to Covid-19

  • If you have an upcoming scheduled court appearance we encourage you to enter your plea using the attached Plea Sheet and submit to the Court prior to your scheduled court date and time.
  • If you are not feeling well Stay Home.
  • Face masks are required in court.
  • Maintain 6 foot social distancing.

Menasha & Neenah Municipal Court Plea Sheet

You may contact the court at (920) 886-6285 to have your appearance rescheduled.

The Cities of Menasha and Neenah adopted an ordinance that created a Menasha-Neenah Municipal Court that became operative May 1, 2002. The term for Municipal Judge is a four-year term commencing May 1, 2002. Selection of the Municipal Judge shall be at the spring election every four years.

If you have questions regarding a ticket you received from the cities of Neenah or Menasha you can call Amanda Freeman, Municipal Court Clerk at 920-886-6285.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding The Municipal Court:

How do I plead not guilty?

If you plan to plead “not-guilty” regarding a ticket you received you can do this two ways:

Send in a letter with your name, ticket number and that you are pleading ‘not guilty”. This must be received before your initial appearance court date. You can either mail this to the Municipal Court Clerk at 211 Walnut St., Neenah, WI 54956 or fax it at 920-886-6286.

Attend your initial appearance and plead “not guilty”.

If you enter a “not-guilty” plea a trial will be scheduled for you. You will receive written notification of your trial date. Please note at your initial appearance you will not be able to discuss your case with the judge at that time. It is simply to enter a plea. Your opportunity to plead your case and talk to the judge will be done at your trial.

Can I speak to the City Attorney regarding my case?

If you would like to discuss your case with the City Attorney before your trial, you must plead Not Guilty.  After pleading Not Guilty, you will be able to discuss your case at a pretrial conference. The Municipal Court Clerk will notify you of the date of your pretrial at the time of your initial appearance.

Defendants who have retained an attorney have a slightly different procedure. Your attorney will take care of entering your plea on your behalf and discussing your case with the prosecuting attorney. Legal ethics prevent our City Attorney from discussing your case with you without your attorney present.

What do I do if I do not want to contest the ticket I received?

If you do not plan to contest your ticket you can simply pay the fine and do not need to attend the initial appearance.

How do I pay my fine?

Fines being paid before or after your court date can be paid to the Joint Municipal Court Clerk at the Neenah City Administration Building, which is located at 211 Walnut St., Neenah, WI 54956. The City of Neenah Treasurer’s Office will also accept payments if you have a copy of your citation or your paperwork from the Court.  Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, credit and debit. Credit and debit cards are subject to a convenience fee.

Can I change my court date?

Requests to change the date of court must be done by contacting the Municipal Court Clerk at 920-886-6285.

Does the City Attorney take care of prosecuting criminal matters?

No, criminal matters are prosecuted by the District Attorney’s Office. The Winnebago County District Attorney can be reached at 920-727-2880.

The above question and answer is informational only. It is not legal advice and is not intended to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal counsel. As with all general information, the answers provided may not specifically apply to you.

Back to Top