License Info For Contractors & Homeowners

Home Remodeling/Construction

A homeowner who is also an occupant may pull permits for remodeling their home.  If you not an occupant or are a contractor and need to pull a building permit for a one- or two-family dwelling building or remodeling job in Wisconsin, you need two business credentials from the Wisconsin Department of Safety & Professional Services.

Dwelling Contractor Credential

The first credential needed is called the Dwelling Contractor Credential. You get this credential by submitting an application form, $35, and a certificate of insurance stating that your company has a minimum of $250,000 (per occurrence) of general liability insurance. This credential is held by the company and must be renewed annually.

Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credential

As of January 1, 2008, the second credential needed to obtain permits is called the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credential. It must be renewed every two years, and it’s held by an individual. That individual can be the company’s owner or partner or an employee of the person who holds the Dwelling Contractor Credential.

Look up a Credential or License Holder

You can check if your contractor is licensed properly here. DSPS Credential/License Search

For more information visit the Department of Safety & Professional Services or the Wisconsin Builders Association