When Do I Need A Permit?
The easiest way to find out whether your project needs a building permit is to call the City of Neenah Inspection Department at 920-886-6130.
All new buildings or building additions require issuance of a permit and in most cases, any remodeling that involves structural work (moving or eliminating walls) or any work which increases the living space of your home (remodeling attic or basement areas) will require the issuance of permits so as to insure code compliance for current and future occupants.
Cosmetic work or repair work such as re-roofing, re-siding, kitchen cabinet replacement etc. may not require a permit unless the work involves structural items or plumbing or electrical system. The list below may not be all inclusive so it is always best to ask the Inspection Department prior to beginning any project to verify whether a permit is needed or not. Common improvements needing permits are:
- New Buildings, Building Additions or Remodeling work described above
- Fences (replacement or new)
- Decks (over 24 ” above grade or over 24 sq ft)
- Pools & Hot Tubs (capable of holding over 24″ of water)
- Solar or Wind energy systems
- Foundation repair or replacement
- Garages and Carports
- Parking Lots
- Fireplaces including Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves
- Building Demolition or Moving
- Electrical, Plumbing and Heating installations/renovations