Central Business District
Commercial Building Exterior Improvement Program
The program goal is to increase economic vitality in the Central Business District by preventing and eliminating blighting conditions including physical and functional, environmental, transportation, economic, and visual factors, through planning and financial investments. This program is made possible through a grant received by the City of Neenah from the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and federal regulations apply.
The program provides eligible projects with reimbursement of up to 50% of project costs and a maximum $10,000 grant award and a minimum of $1,000. Additional consideration may be made for projects providing other site amenities.
- Maintain and improve building exteriors to sustain the commercial district.
- Develop the positive appearance of district structures to strengthen economic vitality.
- Attract public and private investment in the commercial district.
- Support and develop projects of benefit to the district as a whole.
- Principal structures on commercial properties.
- Tenant-leased properties with property owner as co-applicant.
- Click on the Property Eligibility Map for a map of eligible properties.
- Properties with open zoning, building or other City violations, unpaid special assessments, and/or unpaid property taxes are ineligible until violations are corrected, or taxes are paid.
- Repair and replacement of exterior building components including treatment of exterior surfaces and decorative details where deteriorated or missing.
- Projects to restore historically-significant building components.
- Repair and replacement of attached signage and awning treatments attached to the principal structure.
- Exterior projects to provide handicap accessibility.
- Painting projects.
- Cleaning, repointing and masonry repairs of exterior building surfaces.
- Energy efficiency improvements.
- Ineligible projects include projects initiated prior to City of Neenah approval, work not visible from a public street, roofing projects, new building construction, or projects to correct code violations.
- Submit an application (see below) including a detailed description of the proposed project.
- Meet with Community Development Department staff to review the project, application, and federal regulations such as environmental review and contract and labor requirements. Compliance with federal regulations is required to successfully obtain reimbursement of project costs.
- Obtain competitive quotes for the project with any necessary contract and labor requirements.
- Project review and approval by City of Neenah Loan Assistance Board.
- Grant agreement and project contract signed by City officials, property owners, and/or business owner if applicable, and contractor.
- Obtain necessary building permits, undertake project, and pay contract invoice.
- Schedule final project inspection with Community Development Department.
- Provide proof of payment for award of grant.
For more information please contact the Community Development Department