Role of the Crime Analyst
Our Crime Analyst position has become a vital tool for helping law enforcement respond to, solve, and even prevent crime. This position is currently filled by Investigator Paige Collins and reports directly to the Lieutenant of Investigations. In her role, Investigator Collins proactively:
- Interprets and analyzes data to find:
- Crime patterns
- Problem areas within our community
- Uses technology and social media to develop potential leads to assist investigations
- Gathers intelligence for possible threats to public and/or officer safety
- Monitors the Neighbors Public Safety Service through ring.com
- Tracks officers’ patrol efforts
- Analyzes statistics and produces reports based on findings
- Uses mapping technology to display crime and/or calls for service (heat maps, pin maps, etc.)
- Delivers presentations on data collection
The Crime Analyst provides data reports from police activity on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. She also provides data upon special requests from other entities, and provides data to internal department members on a weekly basis.
Communicating with Local Agencies
It is very important for local agencies to share information and data to assist with investigations. Each week, Investigator Collins and other local agencies share Intelligence Bulletins with each other to see if there are similar crimes occurring in different jurisdictions. These bulletins also provide critical officer safety information, photographs of suspects who need to be identified, and much more.