How do I dispose of…

There are everyday household items that are not allowed to be put in the garbage.  The list below are some of the most common items and your option for disposing of them.  If you do not see your item listed,  Click here for a more comprehensive list or visit the Winnebago County Solid Waste website at


The City does not collect major appliances curbside, e.g., stoves, refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, microwaves, hot water heaters, furnaces, dish washers, clothes washers, or dryers.

Appliances can be taken to the Winnebago County Landfill 920-727-2884.  Fees apply. (Open trailers or trucks must be covered with a tarp) or call the Department of Public Works for alternative curbside collection options.  920-886-6240.

Asphalt Shingles – Residential

The City of Neenah does not accept asphalt shingles at the Tullar Road Garage drop off site.  Shingles must be taken to the Winnebago County Solid Waste Facility in Oshkosh.  Fees will apply.  The Winnebago County Solid Waste Facility offers a disposal cost savings to customers who deliver presorted, residential asphalt shingles.  For more information, click here .


The Winnebago County Landfill, 100 W. County Rd. Y, Oshkosh, will accept all types of household batteries (rechargeable, alkaline, button, etc.) at no charge.  Call 920-727-2884 with questions.


E-waste (TVs, VCRs, DVD players, computer equipment, etc.) is NOT picked up curbside or accepted at the Tullar Road Drop-Off Center. The City will hold two Saturday E-waste drop-off days at the Tullar Road Garage 8:00 a.m.-Noon on May 20 and Oct. 21.   A fee will be charged for most items. City of Neenah residents only.

E-waste may also be dropped off at the Winnebago County Landfill for a fee (call 920-727-2884 for information).

Computer equipment (CPUs, keyboards, mice, monitors, scanners, printers, fax machines) can be dropped off for recycling at Goodwill Industries, 907 S. Green Bay Rd., Neenah. Call Goodwill for information at 920-558-4507. TV’s can be dropped off at Best Buy of Appleton and Oshkosh. Call Best Buy for information at 888-237-8289.

Fluorescent Bulbs

Compact (only) fluorescent bulbs can be dropped off at Krueger’s True Value Hardware for disposal.

Fluorescent (tube) bulbs are accepted at the Winnebago County Landfill, 100 W. County Rd Y, Oshkosh, for a minimal fee.  Call 920-727-2884 with questions.

Hazardous Waste

Click here to learn more.


Residents can dispose of unused or expired medications, over-the-counter medications, pet medications, liquid medications, inhalers and medicated ointments/lotions/drops at the Neenah Police Station, 2111 Marathon Avenue.  Empty all pills into sandwich sized sealable bags.  Keep all liquids, creams and powders in original containers. 

The drop off box is available 24 hours/day, everyday, and is safe, secure, convenient, and anonymous.

Oil Filters

Oil filters are banned from landfill disposal. DO NOT place these items in your garbage. The Winnebago County Landfill will accept oil filters for recycling and proper disposal during their regular business hours. Contact them at 920-727-2884.

Plastic Bags and Film

Do not put plastic bags and film in your recycling container.  Click here for information on disposing plastic bags and film in our area.  Enter zip code for locations near you.

Shredded Paper

The Public Works Department has been made aware by Tri-County Recycling, shredded paper can no longer be placed in residents recycle cart. We are aware this may cause issues for many residents and are looking into alternatives for residents. Questions regarding this may be directed to either the Department of Public Works by calling 920-886-6240 or by contacting the Winnebago County Solid Waste by calling 920-232-1800.20